Before making a choice between adding on to an existing home or buying a larger one, consider these questions:
- How much money is available, either from cash reserves or through a home improvement loan, to remodel your current house?
- How much additional space is required? Would the foundation support a second floor or does the lot have room to expand on the ground level?
- What do local zoning and building ordinances permit?
- How much equity already exists in the property?
- Are there affordable properties for sale that would satisfy your changing housing needs?
Ultimately, the decision should be based on individual needs, the extent of work involved and what will add the most value.
For more information, check out “The Do-able Renewable Home,” a booklet published by the American Association of Retired Persons, available online at homemods.org.